Yesterday you read about the dental surgery that Big Red went through and why. Today I am sharing some tips for surviving your child’s surgery. I am hoping this post will give you some things to think about as you plan for your child’s surgery.
1. Be sure to ask questions well in advance. Ask about eating, drinking, parking,etc. It really never hurts to be CERTAIN on all the details in advance.
2. Make sure you have a written treatment plan and know what your insurance covers. You do not want to be surprised by an extra large bill. This kinda happened to us even though we had a written treatment plan. Some adjustments were needed to the plan which made our out-of-pocket double what we were originally told.
3. Make sure you have scheduled the help you need for other children. Have a backup plan for your other children JUST IN CASE! Make sure your older children have all the food and supplies they need while you are away.
4. Bring comfort items for your child and yourself to help ease the transition and pass the time. Remember your outlet charge cable! We are an electronics heavy family which means we love our tech be it the Nintendo DS, tablet, Playstation Vita, etc.
5. Dress in layers because you never know how the temp will be in the hospital. Make sure to pack socks for your child.
6. Try to eat nutritiously yourself and buy extra food and easy to prepare snacks for yourself. You will be so glad that you did!
7. Most likely you will be way more stressed out and worried then your child and way more then you really need to be. Please keep that in mind and try to put on a brave face for your little guy or gal.