Okay, so where did I leave off about our 12/13/14 story. Yes, that’s right we were at the ER and doctors and staff where swarming around my oldest son. The Main ER doc says she wants to intubate him. Another doc in a long white coat says she called Children’s and Careflight is on the way.
Okay, now things are really getting crazy and scary and we are a little out of the loop. I can tell from the looks on their faces that this is very serious but that they do not want us to get hysterical. Rest assured we did not get hysterical. I got mad when I couldn’t reach grandparents. I got concerned for Lil’ Red having to stay away from mom at almost 16 months. We were upset with ourselves for not bringing him in earlier that day. We were thankful Big Red and Princess were already settled in at the other grandma’s house.
The same EMT crew that came to our house had to bring someone else in and stopped by to see how we were doing. That was super comforting. They also asked if our son was the one who passed out water and muffins May 2013 when a house burnt down on our street. We proudly said YES. So we are trying to figure out who is picking up Lil’ Red and trying to figure out what’s going on with Eldest. So we just keep checking on him and see the current ER staff on the phone with the Children’s Hospital ER doc. The Respiratory and EMT staff from Children’s arrive. Intubation has to happen before transportation. We aren’t allowed to watch. We aren’t allowed to travel with him “due to his condition” which basically means they don’t want to risk having to deal with a hysterical parent if he were to crash on the way to Children’s. THIS IS VERY SERIOUS FOLKS!
I had already posted on Facebook for prayer. What better way to reach the masses then social media right? Just so happens that some of the people that saw my post were in the medical field and had some ideas of what was happening. I was amazed at the out pouring of prayers and well wishes and offers of personal phone numbers to talk.
I got a hold of my mom and it was decided that my sister and brother-in-law would come pick up Lil’ Red and go home with them so we can head on to the Children’s Hospital. Eldest is gotten ready for transportation to Children’s Hospital. Transport papers signed by us for both hospitals. The Medical transport driver recognized my husband from high school which is always nice to have a familiarity with someone else in the crisis. He told us not to try and follow him that he was going “lights and sirens” and would be going too fast for us to keep up. SCARY but understandable. Eldest was loaded up and off we went to meet my sister and install the carseat for Lil’ Red.
I offered to drive but hubby insisted that it helped him focus on something. On the way to the 2nd ER, I call and cancel our Monday and Tuesday dentists appointments. Yes,around 11 pm I call 2 different offices since I had the time and didn’t want to have to remember later on. We got to Children’s 30 minutes later. We parked the car and rushed into the ER. We were directed to a waiting room right next to the room Eldest was in. A team of no less then 8 people were around him. Docs, Techs, Nurses, Patient Care, etc. We were given water and crackers.
The ER Doc came in to talk with us and ask questions. He assured us that situations like this are very scary and aren’t predictable and aren’t our fault. He was impressed with our knowledge of keeping on the lookout for signs as to when to bring a child in and why we waited as long as we did. (lack of fever or limb pain, etc). We step in for very short periods of time to tell him we are there but stay out of the ER room while we try to hold it together. We were given updates pretty regularly as to what they thought was going on, what was currently happening, and what was going to go on before heading to ICU like getting a chest x-ray and CT scan. We had already been told from transport before leaving the 1st ER that Eldest would be going to ICU. We kept in contact with family by texts, updating facebook, and calling a few family members.
We stayed with him the whole time and walked down the hall to CT. We opted to stay out of the CT room for that short minute or 2 since there was a team of 4 from ER plus CT Tech already in the room with him. We didn’t want to accidentally get in the way or bump something plus the rest in the hallway rocking chairs did us good. We had a chance to use the restroom and be ready to head upstairs to ICU.
The first night was extremely grueling since he wasn’t settled into ICU until after 1 am. Around 2 am or so they realized he hadn’t even been given an ID band because he came in so critical and so much had to be done and monitored! There were hourly labs and/or fingerpricks. He was on 6-8 Iv’s plus was still intubated and sedated due to intubation and suction. This is not how we envisioned our weekend before the weekend before Christmas.
Come back tomorrow for part 3 of our Diabetes Diagnosis and to read all about what we had to do and learn to bring our son home!
Did you miss the other posts in this series? Check them out below:
Other Type 1 Diabetes Posts:
The information on Something 2 Offer is provided for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be substituted for the advice provided by your doctor or other health care professional. If you rely upon any programs or techniques, or use any of the products and services made available by or through the use of our website for decision making, without obtaining the advice of a physician or other health care professional, you do so at your own risk. The nutritional and other information on our website is not intended to be, and does not constitute health care or medical advice.
The views expressed on Something 2 Offer have not been reviewed or endorsed by the FDA or any other private or public entity. is an independent, privately run business separate from any other organization. Affiliate links are used within this post to provide monetary support for our blog.